Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GW2: Breaking the "Holy Trinity"

Name:  gw2.png
Views: 675
Size:  16.3 KB

So Gamebreak.tv sought out to see just how well GW2's "No Holy Trinity" really is.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/breaking-the-trinity/
    My sig should go here...

nice vid, i rly do love that the holy trinity isnt rly needed in this game. cant wait to try out these dungeons on release!

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who enjoys the so called "holy trinity"? I feel it makes the game a bit more team reliant. I have to protect my healer and in return, he has to keep me alive so I can continue protecting him.

Just curious if people really hate the trinity aspect of games or are just excited for a change.

In days past being just a DPS class and never having the skills to be a tank or healer, doing group tasks was tough to put together the correct groups, sometimes you ran nothing if the right people did not log on (ToR). In a guild that might have 30 ppl on, 2 tanks, 4 healers and 24 DPS, the Tanks and healers usually got geared and bored with the content LONG before the DPS was at the same level. This caused more than enough drama when the tank might only want to run with groups that were his level in gear to run higher content when the rest had to wait. The other DPS out there will remember this. A lot of the times people were pushed into re-speccing or requested to play the tank/healer character even though they had a DPS they enjoyed more. It was always better to be a tank and a healer to easily get a group, than being the best DPS in the guild. How many times did the raid groups have a pure DPS as a leader and not a tank or healer? I welcome the change, everyone is on equal footing, do I sound bitter, then I am sorry...

@Psythian:
    And, I feel your pain. In WoW I had both a raiding Dwarf Priest and Human Rogue. But, I made sure to run instances/raids I didn't get gear from anymore specifically to repay the people who helped me get what I had. So, I did ZG and MC each week even though I was nearly full T2. It was helping others and the people made it fun each week.

I think a tank who gets gear and "moves on" is just not a very great person ><

But, I can see your point. It definitely allows people to play what they want, not what everyone else wants.

EDIT: I should state my T2 char was my priest because I raided on him 90% of the time. It wasn't until after everyone else was geared enough to handle fights easily that I was bringing my rogue in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedlinin View Post
    Out of curiosity, am I the only one who enjoys the so called "holy trinity"? I feel it makes the game a bit more team reliant. I have to protect my healer and in return, he has to keep me alive so I can continue protecting him.

Just curious if people really hate the trinity aspect of games or are just excited for a change.
    Personally, i love it but i can see why they are using it as a selling point.
    Drunatlok-Hyjal Resto Druid
    Kovedohach-Tichondrius Prot Warrior

Before GW2 we were forced to use the holy trinity, now playing without the need for it, I don't think I could play a game with it.

It gets cumbersome having to have the correct people to enjoy the game.

"Lets do this raid guys!"
    "ok we got everyone online"
    "Sorry guys it's been two hours, I have to run, says the tank or healer"
    "well since we don't have another one online we have to stop"

I hated that shit!
    My sig should go here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dyasis View Post
    Before GW2 we were forced to use the holy trinity, now playing without the need for it, I don't think I could play a game with it.

It gets cumbersome having to have the correct people to enjoy the game.

"Lets do this raid guys!"
    "ok we got everyone online"
    "Sorry guys it's been two hours, I have to run, says the tank or healer"
    "well since we don't have another one online we have to stop"

I hated that shit!
    thats exactly what i went thru! for a bit in WoW, i had a small group going but we were all dps except this couple who were tank and healer. they played the least out of us so we couldnt do much without them on dungeon wise.

we're still going to have people spec more into support or control or tank or dps or whatever still, and there could mayb still be a better team comp to come up with, but its not required or set in stone that we need one of this, one of that and one of those to run a dungeon now.

the trinity has its pro's and con's,

pro's - pve

con's - pvp

now i know that is over simplified, but when you have a system built that 2 or 3 healers can keep someone up through MASS amounts of incoming damage, that is totally unbalanced in pvp, so you end up with band aid bullshit like expertise or some other bullshit pvp stat to try to balance it out, and that leads to what i FUCKING HATE about pvp in most mmo's. these type of systems tells players like myself "we dont give a flying fuck how good you are, if you dont grind just pvp, any asshat who does will dominate you because he has one stat higher than you, so fuck you"

the trinity can be fun, but its old, tired, and has been ridden like a two dollar whore, and you will always end up not doing stuff because you are short something you must have to be successful, and i thought the point of a MMO was for people to play together, not to wait on just a few people to log in every night (similar to a job) just so everyone else can have some fun, ive been that guy for a long time, it fucking sucks

o man, i totally forgot about that. people dominating in pvp all because they got their pocket healers! that always pissed me off lol

Thread Information