Close

1. Crowfall: Founders Update

Founders Updated: "Big World Development"

FOUNDERS' UPDATE: 'BIG WORLD' DEVELOPMENT

We’ve been doing a TREMENDOUS amount of behind-the-scenes work this summer. The biggest challenges when creating an MMO are the layers of technology that players never see but interact with constantly! This includes stuff like persistence, supporting hundreds of thousands of players concurrently, movement within (and between) the multiple servers that make up every world. You know – all the systems we take for granted until something goes wrong. J
    Up until now, we’ve been concentrating on the foundations of gameplay: movement, combat, powers, inventory and equipment, physics. At the beginning of summer, we decided it was time to make the jump from “instanced matches” (e.g. the Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous wrappers that we’ve used for testing) to our real architecture; the actual foundation for Crowfall®.
    It may sound trivial, but this was a huge undertaking… and we are almost through it!
    Our next round of testing, which will begin at the end of this month, will cover these foundational systems. Internally, we’ve been calling this our ‘Big World’ milestone, for reasons that are probably obvious.
    Server Goals

• Make the jump to longer duration tests (days, not hours)
    • Add character persistence (both skills and in the game world)
    • Move skill training to a centralized server (meaning that you get the benefits of your skill training on ANY server that you log into)
    • Seamless movement in a world made up of parcels
    • …and, of course, the world needs to be MUCH larger than before. The continent “grid” (on which the parcels are placed) is currently 5120m by 5120m. We can adjust this up or down, depending on how it feels and how it performs with real players.

Gameplay Goals

In addition to these (critical) server changes, work continues on the game itself. This milestone also includes:

• Stealth
    • Guinecean Duelist archetype
    • Harvesting of resources (wood, stone, ore) from the world
    • Personal crafting (from a huge list of item recipes)
    • Significant update to player movement and responsiveness
    • Character optimization (and prepping for hair/face/skin/color customization)
    • A complete revision of the Chat system
    • …and a host of additional mundane things like more FPS work, moving our monster spawners and harvesting spawners into Big World, a restructuring of AI, reorganizing the lobby and login sequence around the central service, etc.

Testing

This is a (critical) step in the development of Crowfall, and we plan to use this version to learn and validate. It is NOT, however, a playable game experience (in the same way that we placed rules around Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous).
    To this end:
    If you have group of friends (or guildmates) waiting to come check out the game, we aren’t quite there yet!
    The focus of this playtest is less play and more test!
    If you really want to help, we have a list of features/content that you can assess. It isn’t a complete test plan, by any stretch -- it’s just a checklist of items that need to be reviewed on a variety of client machines. If you want to help, great! If not, no worries!
    What This Means for Crowfall

We are very excited to get this version in front of you – but the most exciting thing about this version is actually what comes next!
    Once we’ve got this version in front of you (and stable), we’ll talk about the next big milestone. This is where the game vision will really be realized, as it includes features like exploration, city building, player-driven economy, capture mechanics and victory conditions.
    We’ll talk about those systems – and when you can play them – soon.
    Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton
    Co-Founders, ArtCraft Entertainment

2. Likes Paribus liked this post
    Good stuff. I had a chance to log on tonight to do some of the BG style PVP they have set up for testing. It was OK, I didnt really know what I was doing. There probably needs some work done with the animations and whatnot to make it more fluid, but this game is still in early development so I will give them a pass on this. Honestly, looking back on it, this is probably one of the most important things for me, aside from the core mechanics. Even BDO always felt a little clunky for me. The games that get feel right for me would be WoW and Guild Wars, both had very fluid, natural feeling combat.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    Good stuff. I had a chance to log on tonight to do some of the BG style PVP they have set up for testing. It was OK, I didnt really know what I was doing. There probably needs some work done with the animations and whatnot to make it more fluid, but this game is still in early development so I will give them a pass on this. Honestly, looking back on it, this is probably one of the most important things for me, aside from the core mechanics. Even BDO always felt a little clunky for me. The games that get feel right for me would be WoW and Guild Wars, both had very fluid, natural feeling combat.
    I always felt like BDO would have played great on a 10ms perfect lossless connection.

But ya, GW2 was amazing as far as how the combat felt. When you could see the other team it was very satisfying.

5. Thanks joebane thanked for this post
    Likes Aloss liked this post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZf...ature=youtu.be

I dont know who has bought any of the founders packs, but I am looking forward to testing this out.

7. Thanks joebane thanked for this post

Thread Information