PDA

View Full Version : SWTOR - What Grace Period?

joebane
12-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Today, Stephen Reid – Community Manager for EA / Bioware – linked a FAQ via twitter which announced that there will be no grace period for people who pre-ordered Star Wars : The Old Republic. That is to say – If you pre-ordered and got in to the early play program but haven’t received your hard-copy and entered your registration code by launch, you will be unable to play the game until such time as you do.

And the internet exploded.

Well over 4,000 posts were hammered out on the SWTOR forums, showing everything from apathy to the lol’s of people who went digital distro. (Like I did) to full blown nerd-rage. One guy even said something about burning cars and looting…Not kidding here.

Read Full Article at FEZ (http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/12/star-wars-the-old-republic-no-grace-period-for-pre-orders-mass-crying-ensues/)

Tumbarius
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
After the initial push during pre-release I think a break while waiting for shipping won't be all that terrible.

I could be wrong though.

Anadus
12-09-2011, 01:11 AM
If you got an order with Amazon, there might be hope. Here is a screenshot of a live chat someone had with an Amazon rep.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3932/amazonconvo.png

So maybe your codes will get emailed on 20th? Hopefully! lol

Jimmel
12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Digital... wave of the future, man!

matheon
12-09-2011, 07:13 AM
stupid first world problems :(

i can't play star wars for 3 days and i may have to spend that part of christmas break with my loved ones doing other stuff :( :(

fade
12-09-2011, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't count on Amazon reps as being the most honest people. They'll tell you what you want to hear just to get rid of you. They once told me my package was still on time and to be delivered that day when the system was showing it wasn't even shipped yet. Needless to say it didn't arrive that day.

Skulgak
12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
The big problem here is the collector's edition. That's not available digitally, so those are the people most likely to get screwed by this.

Felony
12-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Digital... wave of the future, man!

They shouldn't offer a $150 box set at all then :mad:

Felony
12-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Today, Stephen Reid – Community Manager for EA / Bioware – linked a FAQ via twitter which announced that there will be no grace period for people who pre-ordered Star Wars : The Old Republic. That is to say – If you pre-ordered and got in to the early play program but haven’t received your hard-copy and entered your registration code by launch, you will be unable to play the game until such time as you do.

And the internet exploded.

Well over 4,000 posts were hammered out on the SWTOR forums, showing everything from apathy to the lol’s of people who went digital distro. (Like I did) to full blown nerd-rage. One guy even said something about burning cars and looting…Not kidding here.

Read Full Article at FEZ (http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/12/star-wars-the-old-republic-no-grace-period-for-pre-orders-mass-crying-ensues/)

This article is exactly what is wrong in the first place, anyone who got the D/DL doesn't feel the pinch from this, kinda like, eh, doesn't effect me so fuck it... Which is fine, but they need to just not say anything if they have no reason to be pissed and let those of us that are pissed be pissed lol.

Dross
12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
This article is exactly what is wrong in the first place, anyone who got the D/DL doesn't feel the pinch from this, kinda like, eh, doesn't effect me so fuck it... Which is fine, but they need to just not say anything if they have no reason to be pissed and let those of us that are pissed be pissed lol.

100% agreed. The "Not my problem" mentality pisses me off. People that act like there is nothing to get upset about are the very same people who A. ordered digitally or B. Europe. Everyone knows if their digital download had a problem or their European servers were down for days they would be nerd raging just as hard.

Most posts I see from these asshats are "It's only 2 days, get over it blah blah blah." Do they not understand there are some people that are going to be shut down for a week or more due to where they live?

Scuba
12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
it's super shitty. i'm gonna have 6 days off around new years time. so i'm fucked in the ass pretty badly.

matheon
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
sweet.. just looked at my amazon order and learned that the past version of myself had the foresight to order 1 day shipping.

love it when things work out.

btw if anyone wants to see something funny check out http://www.ea.com/ca

the SWTOR banner says "Your saga begins Dec 12 2011"
:P

EDIT: at this point i believe Joe in that they are just stirring the pot

Khaffen
12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
The "ray of hope" is that BW has announced that Europe sales will start on the 15th and that US outlets may be able to ship for a 20th delivery.

Both of my CE's are shipping with overnight delivery. I made that call when I ordered. I am seriously close to just biting the bullet and getting one D/DL from Origin...

If you are still interested, newegg is still offering CE's for pre-order (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832130291). No one else seems to have any...

Gummy_Bear
12-09-2011, 10:28 AM
100% agreed. The "Not my problem" mentality pisses me off. People that act like there is nothing to get upset about are the very same people who A. ordered digitally or B. Europe. Everyone knows if their digital download had a problem or their European servers were down for days they would be nerd raging just as hard.

Most posts I see from these asshats are "It's only 2 days, get over it blah blah blah." Do they not understand there are some people that are going to be shut down for a week or more due to where they live?

I just find it humorous you're pissed acting like you're surprised and therefore I'm making fun of you for posting your emo feelings on the internetz

Kove
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I feel...........so.............disturbed.

Felony
12-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I just find it humorous you're pissed acting like you're surprised and therefore I'm making fun of you for posting your emo feelings on the internetz

Can I haz an interwebz cookies then? I will feel better.

HighClass
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Not having a grace period is extremely... ungraceful of them. :icon6:

But also:

http://myfacewhen.com/images/260.jpg

Shady
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
"It's only 2 days, get over it blah blah blah!"

On a serious note, I believe Amazon will be able to get their shipped in time. I order so much from Amazon and had a near spotless track record with them in terms of delivery.

HighClass
12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
"It's only 2 days, get over it blah blah blah!"

On a serious note, I believe Amazon will be able to get their shipped in time. I order so much from Amazon and had a near spotless track record with them in terms of delivery.

Too bad they're not offering release-day delivery.

Khaffen
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Ditto. One of my CE's is with Amazon and one with newegg. Great records for both but split my orders in case something happened, thinking that it might not happen to both.

Felony
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Not having a grace period is extremely... ungraceful of them. :icon6:

But also:

http://myfacewhen.com/images/260.jpg

Straight from the Devs at bioware. Bad boys hired evil Yoda.

Gimlii
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
So, I had originally ordered the entire collectors set, but then I found out about the problems with getting early access. I had ordered from Gamestop and they were not providing the early access codes via email like swtor.com said they were supposed too. The reason was because they had the collectors edition on BACK ORDER and didn't have any more digital access codes to hand out.

WATCH OUT! YOU COULD BE STUCK WITH YOUR COLLECTORS EDITION ON BACK ORDER AND NOT GAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME UNTIL DELIVERED.

After doing my research on swtor.com (I can't provide the full link since I'm at work with a communist version of the internet), I canceled my collector's edition and ordered a digital delivery.

Felony
12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
So, I had originally ordered the entire collectors set, but then I found out about the problems with getting early access. I had ordered from Gamestop and they were not providing the early access codes via email like swtor.com said they were supposed too. The reason was because they had the collectors edition on BACK ORDER and didn't have any more digital access codes to hand out.

WATCH OUT! YOU COULD BE STUCK WITH YOUR COLLECTORS EDITION ON BACK ORDER AND NOT GAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME UNTIL DELIVERED.

After doing my research on swtor.com (I can't provide the full link since I'm at work with a communist version of the internet), I canceled my collector's edition and ordered a digital delivery.

Your story is becoming the norm it seems... It's sad that the people that spent the extra money for something they really wanted got screwed the way they did, but just from saying that I am whining to everyone that didn't do so lol. It is what it is I guess.
I guess this will be me for a few days if I decide to wait:

Kove
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Here is my chat with an EA representative.

Vivek: Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Vivek how may I help you?
you: I preordered a hard copy of SWTOR, and would like to change it to a digital copy without losing my early access. Is that possible?
Vivek: Please give me just a moment while I look into this further.
Vivek: I would like to inform you,the early access is not available in the physical copy of the game.
you: well, i did get an early access code when i ordered, did i order a digital copy without knowing?
Vivek: You will get early access of the game only with digital version of the game and the game should be preordered.
you: can you check my order, because what i am being told here, and what i thought i orered are apparently two different things
Vivek: Please provide me your order number.
you: *****
Vivek: Please give me just a moment while I look into this further.
you: ok, thank you
Vivek: Your welcome.
Vivek: I have checked your account and found that you have ordered the digital version of the game.
you: i see, thank you very much.
Vivek: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
you: will i receive an email with the game key on day of release?
Vivek: Yes of course you will get.
Vivek: &#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;&#*****;Is there anything else I may help you with?
you: that will be all, thank you very much for clarifying.
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to corydreher@bellsouth.net at the end of your chat session.
Vivek: Thank you for contacting Origin and chatting with me. &#*****;I appreciate your time and have a great day!

Kinda weird, imo.

Kerp
12-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Here is my chat with an EA representative.

Kinda weird, imo.

I'm more interested in what your actual experience ends up being on release day, and whether or not you just received the Customer Support two-step.

Kove
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, kinda shady stuff there, huh?

Gimlii
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah Kove that is weird. Of course I was so pissed at Gamestop for trying to sell be something on back order that I completely cancelled it and went through another company! That will show the bastards!!!

Dreven
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
That really sucks. Bioware messed up bigtime with that.
I hope they can fix that so we all can play together.

matheon
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM

ya its really not surprising is it.

i guess i can see how it may surprise someone who never heard of the civil rights movement, nazi germany, or apartheid.

and Kove, it looks like you just got outsourced to lol

Jimmel
12-09-2011, 08:11 PM

HighClass
12-09-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/332.jpg

Ciannon
12-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Stupid me. Editing this post because I was wrong.

Phwap
12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I posted this in that other thread but I'll put it here to in case anybody missed it.

Thread updated on the ToR forums by Stephen Reid regarding Origin Orders. People that ordered a CE or SE box set from Origin may be okay. Good news, for me at least.

More details regarding Origin.com pre-orders

If you have pre-ordered The Old Republic through Origin.com, here's some more details.

For pre-orders of physical Standard / Collector's Editions

For anyone who has pre-ordered a physical copy of The Old Republic via Origin (either Standard or Collector's Edition), Origin will be shipping those copies beginning December 16th, for estimated arrival on December 20th. Depending on your relative location to a distribution center, it's possible your copy will arrive earlier. Origin physical orders are only available for US and Canadian postal addresses.

If you pre-ordered a physical copy, the payment card that you input into the Origin.com billing system at the time of pre-order will be used to charge the remaining cost of the full game, starting at 5AM PST / 8 AM EST on December 13th.

Please note: Origin will not be sending Game Codes digitally to customers who have a physical pre-order.

For pre-orders of digital Standard and Deluxe Editions

For anyone who has pre-ordered a digital copy of The Old Republic via Origin (either Standard or Digital Deluxe Editions), Origin will begin emailing Game Codes from 8AM PST (11AM EST / 4PM GMT / 5PM CET) on December 16th to the email address associated with your pre-order. Due to the volume of codes being distributed, it may take up to 48 hours for all codes to be delivered via email. If you do not receive a game code email within 48 hours, please contact Origin Support.

Remember, redeeming a Game Code is not required to begin your Early Game Access. Your Early Game Access will begin based on when you redeemed your pre-order code, as originally supplied by Origin.

If you pre-ordered a digital copy, the payment card that you input into the Origin.com billing system at the time of pre-order will be used to charge the remaining cost of the full game, starting at 8AM PST (11AM EST / 4PM GMT / 5PM CET) on December 16th.

Please remember, by pre-ordering on Origin.com you agreed to the automatic purchase of your selected edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic. If you no longer wish to receive your game, then you will need to cancel your order before your payment card is charged (December 13th for physical orders; December 16th for digital).

Also a small ray of hope for people who ordered with other retailers:

I do not have a definitive update yet regarding retailers for the US and Canada, although I have had multiple conversations with sales and marketing today. What I'm being told is that retailers are ready to ship copies of The Old Republic 'in good time' for launch day on December 20th.

Dyasis
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
There is a easy fix for this if they think about it... Give everyone that ordered the actual dvd the ability to use the digital version, I don't see how they can tell you to pre-order it and have early access and then not ship it... just give them codes to use, after all they did buy the game, digital or physical media shouldn't matter

Ciannon
12-09-2011, 10:31 PM
There is a easy fix for this if they think about it... Give everyone that ordered the actual dvd the ability to use the digital version, I don't see how they can tell you to pre-order it and have early access and then not ship it... just give them codes to use, after all they did buy the game, digital or physical media shouldn't matter

Technically, the way it's "supposed" to work... is this...

They actually ship prior to 12/20 in hopes that it will arive by 12/20.