View Full Version : Memorial Day 2008

joebane
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Food for thought on Memorial Day.

"Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history
to wait for the train of the future to run over him."
— President Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." —Nathan Hale

It is not surprising that many Americans no longer observe Memorial Day with reverence. Schools no longer teach civics, the courts exclude God (officially) from the public square, and the Left media and malls "celebrate" Memorial Day with commercial sales.
Indeed, Memorial Day has been sold out by many
—Mark Alexander Profiles in Valor Memorial Day 2008

"I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the gloom I can see the rays of ravishing light and glory. I can see that the end is worth more than all the means..."
—Founding Patriot John Adams

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
—2 Timothy 4:7

Monday, 26 May, is Memorial Day. Please set it aside in reverence for all those who have served with honor and are now departed.

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
—John Stuart Mill

"Of our three national holidays, for me, Memorial Day is the most significant. It's the blood and guts (the suffering and sacrifice) symbolized by Memorial Day, that made America possible. To make ideals real—and to protect and preserve them—requires payment in the coin of strife and death... If I could speak with the 'Band of Brothers' today, I'd ask: 'Are you happy with what your country has become? When you were a nervous kid waiting to jump out of a plane while shells peppered the sky, did you ever imagine it would come to this?"'
—Don Feder

I have never been able to think
of the day as one of mourning
I have never quite been able to
feel that half-masted flags
were appropriate on Decoration Day
I have rather felt that the
flag should be at the Peak
because those whose dying we commemorate,
rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it!
We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant
commemoration of what they did.
—Benjamin Harrison

"The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."
— W. E. B. Du Bois, author

Tarkanian
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Food for thought on Memorial Day.

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
—John Stuart Mill

I have always liked this qoute, but it seems even more relavent in recent times.

Inuria
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I have that one on my MySpace page...just to let everyone know I'm more patriotic than they are. :P Hee hee.

Silliness aside...I like that one very, very much, and I had never seen the DuBois quote before that I can recall. Thanks for putting those up, Joe.

An observant Memorial Day to you

joebane
05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Even though I disagree with our war, I appreciate beyond my own comprehension the job that those soldiers of the US military do, it is because of their sacrifices that I have my freedoms. As such, the families of those men and women in service sacrifice as much, and I say simply Thank You, it is appreciated.

Iluminatia
05-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks very much for those Joe. I think many times we forget just how much our Armed Forces do for us. Even though many may disagree with the politics of most of it, we must remember just how much so many sacrifice for our FREEDOM. Thanks to all of our Armed Forces and their families for all of your hard work and dedication. We SALUTE you!